Research and Publications
Leslie has many years of experience supervising colleagues undertaking research degrees. For further information about research and research staff profiles please visit University of the West of England.
- Second edition of Music Therapy - An Art beyond Words, (co-authored with Brynjulf Stige) published by Routledge, 2014.
- Music Therapy - An Art beyond Words, London: Routledge 1994 5th printing 2002 and also translated into Italian 1996, Japanese 1997, German 1998, Hebrew 1999 .
- The Handbook of Music Therapy - co-authored with Sarah Hoskyns, Routledge, London 2002 . A 2nd edition is in preparation with co-editors Sarah Hoskyns and Sangeeta Swamy.
- ‘The integration of art and science in music therapy training: Some challenges in the UK’ in International Perspectives in Music Therapy Education and Training: Adapting to a Changing World, edited by Karen Goodman, Charles C. Thomas 2015.
- ‘Art and music therapy in cancer care’ co-authored with Fay Mitchell - in Cancer and Cancer Care, edited by Debbie Wyatt and Nicholas Hulbert-Williams, Sage 2015.
- 'Music Therapy: a resource for creativity, health and well-being across the lifespan' in Musical Creativity: Insights from Music Education Research, edited by Oscar Odena, Ashgate Publishers 2012.
- 'Bringing light into darkness: guided imagery and music, bereavement, loss and working through trauma' in Developments in Music Therapy Practice: Case Study Perspectives, edited by Anthony Meadows, Barcelona Publishers 2011.
- 'Music therapy for children - perspectives from practice and research' in The Child as Musician: a handbook of musical development, edited by Gary McPherson, Oxford University Press May 2006.
- 'Music Space and Health - the story of MusicSpace' in Community Music Therapy - International Initiatives, edited by Mercédès Pavlicevic and Gary Ansdell, Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2004.
- 'Music and Emotion: Perspectives from Music Therapy' - co-authored with Mercédès Pavlicevic - in Music and Emotion, edited by Patrik Juslin and John Sloboda, Oxford University Press 2001.
- 'Clinical and Therapeutic uses of Music' in The Social Psychology of Music, edited by David Hargreaves and Adrian North, Oxford University Press 1997.
- 'Looking into the profession with Ken Aigen.' British Journal of Music Therapy, 2015, Vol.29, no. 2: 18-26
- 'Music Therapy in Children's Hospices: An Evaluative Survey of Provision', with Sarah Hodkinson and Norma Daykin, The Arts in Psychotherapy, vol. 41, no. 5, 2014.
- 'The Healing and Spiritual Properties of Music at a Cancer Care Centre’ with Stuart McClean and Norma Daykin, Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol.18, no. 4, 2012.
- 'Creativity, Identity and Healing: participants' accounts of music therapy in cancer care' with Norma Daykin and Stuart McClean, Health: an interdisciplinary journal for the social study of health, illness and medicine, vol.1, no.3, 2007.
- 'Music and Healing in Cancer Care with Norma Daykin and Stuart McClean A survey of supportive care providers, The Arts in Psychotherapy', vol.33, no.5, 2006.
- 'Music Therapy with Children: A Complementary Service to Music Education?' British Journal of Music Education, vol.20, no.2 Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- 'A Pilot Study into the therapeutic effects of music therapy at a Cancer Help Center' with Sarah Burns, Michael Harbuz and Frank Hucklebridge, Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol.7, no.1, 2001.
There is more from Leslie at www.voices.no/community in the form of interviews and some fortnightly columns.